II. VEHICLE IDENTIFICATION MARK (Number Plate)
- Number plate is a vehicle identification mark. It is reflective to improve safety at night.
- The colour code is used to differentiate various categories of vehicles and the security water mark is meant to deter forgery.
- The first two and the last three digits are alphabets, the middle are three numerals. It is alpha-numeric.
- The last three alphabets represent the Local Government or Licensing Office where the vehicle is registered.
Temporary Number Plate
This is obtained whenever the original number plate is lost.
Procedure for Obtaining a Temporary Number Plate:
- Apply to the licensing authority with a sworn court affidavit and a police report.
- In the course of processing the number plate, write the number on a black background with white lettering.
- There must be an evidence that the person is processing a new one.
Vehicle Identification Tag
This is a sticker having the same alpha numeric number with the number plate. It is an added security device to prevent illegal transfer of number plate. It is affixed to the rear windscreen.
Proof of Ownership
It is a certificate designed to provide ultimate proof of ownership of a vehicle. It is a product of information provided on form MVA01 used in vehicle registration.
Shows that the appropriate road tax has been paid. It is pre-formatted in categories (truck, car, bus etc). It carries the description of vehicle like colour, engine and chassis number.
Road Worthiness Certificate
Regular inspection of vehicles is required to ascertain their road worthiness. The successful vehicle is issued certificate which is affixed to the certified vehicle.
Road Worthiness Validity Tag
A vehicle that passes road worthiness test is also issued a validity tag which is pasted on the screen of the vehicle to save time during road checks.
Special Number Plate
- Obtain and complete Form MVA01
- Pay prescribed fee
- Obtain vehicle registration book
- Obtain current certificate of insurance
- Obtain road worthiness certificate